In one hour more sunlight falls on the earth than annual power need of the whole world. I guess you already know this. But I bet, there are some exciting facts that you don’t know about solar power. If you this will be an interesting article for you, scroll down.
Historical Solar Power Facts
- As far back as 1447, industrialization fuelled by sun was foreseen by Leonardo Da Vinci.
- In 1990 the fist aircraft flew across the USA without fuel, only using solar power.
- Shell Oil predicts that renewable sources will account for half of the world’s energy resources in 2040.
- 2 billion people don’t have access to electricity.
- Comprising 5 % of the world’s population, Americans consume over one quater of the world’s energy.
- Most amount of electricity is consumed by electric ovens.
PV Panel Facts
- PV cells are panels that can be installed to your roof or walls. Each one is made of one or two layers of semiconducting silicon. Exposure to light creates an electric field across the layers. Thats how the electrycity is produced.
- The strength of a PV cell is measured in kilowatt peak (kWp) which refers to the amount of energy the cell generates in full sunlight.
- A 1-kilowatt home solar system consists of about 10-12 solar panels and it produces around 1,600 kilowatt hours per year in a sunny climate.
- Each month, your 1-kilowatt home solar system will save 170 lbs. of coal and 105 gallons of water, while also preventing 300 lbs of CO2 to be emitted.